Monday, October 22, 2012

Shut Down

There are times I forget where I am because I float around so much (work and unemployment find me everywhere but home in Houston lately), and this was one of them.  The majority of states have some sort of cottage food law, but the one I'm in isn't one of them, although it's working its way through a committee of sorts.

Anyway, someone asked me the other day at a show if I was incorporated; I said no.  Well, that got me thinking that I needed to investigate this state's rule as I thought I was in a cottage food law state (Texas is, where I'd normally be selling when I'm home).  Sorry, but the state I'm hanging out in isn't one, so while here, I decided it was best to shut down the whole thing until I'm back in Texas, or in another cottage food law friendly state.  I also shut down my Etsy and Facebook operations as well.  It's a bit of a blow, but I understand - and I can wait.

The thing that bothers me is the person who asked me this question was the person who recruited me for the show, and then her successor also gave the green light.  Although I diligently asked all the right questions, somehow neither found it important to ask if I was incorporated because this state isn't friendly to cottage food laws.  It seems table selling space was more important than the law; the woman who asked is licensed, so she should've known better and should've rejected my show application that fully disclosed what I make.  

Although it's bothersome, it only serves to make me all that more determined to "boogie back to Texas", or build the new home along the NC/TN border as fast as I can - all states with cottage food laws.

On the plus side, I have plenty of jams and jellies to give away to family, friends, and business associates for Christmas.

C'est la vie.... "If my God is for me, who can be against me?"   :)


No comments:

Post a Comment