Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pineapple Vinegar Update

I must confess one thing wasn't mentioned in ANY of the recipes...this attracts gnats!  I've set up gnat traps with great success, but it's annoying.  The only really successful method I've found to deal with gnats is pouring kahlua in a shallow 6 ounce bowl and placing it on top of the half gallon jug.  So far, the gnats haven't managed to get into the brew, but that's because I was smart enough to use four layers of cheese cloth in the beginning.  It also works in my favor that the alcohol is in the open and sitting on top of the jar...one is easier to get at than the other, and gnats are lazy.   

What's true to the original recipe, the vinegar has turned a bit brown and is cloudy, but it's actually starting to smell like vinegar.  I'm not sure how much longer it'll be before the brew goes from brown to something that is clear and can be strained and bottled.

I'll have to try this again with some apples in the near future and see what kind of results I get.  I'm also wondering if this works with any fruit, not just pineapple or apple.

 
Happy Eats!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment