Saturday, October 27, 2012

Hurricane Sandy gets in the way

I had planned on trying my hand this weekend at fortune cookies, but instead my plans are on hold while I try and prepare for the hurricane.

It's no fun being in the bulls eye section, and even if I could run west, it wouldn't help as the other storm's moving in.  My day has been busy with running around between grocery stores, hardware stores, electronics stores, gas stations, and propane filling stations.  No matter where you go, there's a line out the door.

The plus side of the running around, I landed a generator and two inverters (to run the sump pumps off car batteries to avoid basement flooding), not quite all the gas I need, and enough food to get through the initial storm.  If it were all up to me, and it isn't, I'd have at least a week's worth of canned and dry goods around, but if I buy too much, Fred freaks out, so I don't. 

When I build the future house, it will have a large walk in pantry and always stocked with at least a month's worth of extra food for long term emergencies and/or layoffs. 

I hope everyone stays safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment