Sunday, September 30, 2012

Shelling Beans and Cabinet Work


The garden harvest continues, although the tomatoes are almost done.  This is the second of three HUGE bowls of speckled butter beans Fred's been shelling for two hours now.  He gets this job because he's good at it; I end up totally destroying the pods trying to get the beans out.  I might have to resort to kitchen shears and cutting the pods open in the future.  :)

My big task for today is to finish imprinting on the top of the kitchen cabinet.  It seems like it'd be easy, but by pressing down on a tiny stick, it's amazing how fast you lose the feeling in your fingertip.  Once that's done, I'm going to go over it again to deepen the imprints (if necessary), and then stain the imprinted text.  Once that's done, I'll be able to stain the entire piece a natural oak stain to match my friend's decor.  There's a lot of work before the whole piece can be stained, but I'm starting to think ahead at this point.  I want to have certain things "done" before I start my new contract in nine days, and this is one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment