Friday, September 28, 2012

Farm Humor and Thoughts

As time goes by, and since I'm about to go back to work, I'm thinking more about setting up separate bank accounts so I can save for specific things.  Someday I want the farm, the animals, and the "off the grid" utilities...but I want to pay cash so I won't be in debt.  The best way to do that is to start listing what my wants and needs will be.  I'm a bad saver (not a wild spender), so I'd want to set the percentages ahead of time so they're automatically deposited into accounts without me having to think about it. 
 
Tithe - 10% (never forget to bless God with a portion of what He's blessed you with!)
Weekly food budget - $125.00 (this is Costco spending, and we have food stores, so it could be less)
Car fund - 10% (I don't need a new car, but a dependable used one would be good)
House down payment fund - 10%  (I know, it should be 20%)
Animal purchase fund - 5%  (cows, sheep, goats, chickens, the guard dog and mousers)
Wind turbine/geothermal heating and cooling system/solar panel/well drilling fund - 10%
Emergency cash fund - 10%  (It's a good idea to have $1,000 put aside)
Emergency food & supplies fund - 5%  (prepare for storm so you're not fighting the crowds)
My business fund - 5%  (equipment, supplies, show fees)
Farm equipment - 5%  (tractor, plow, harvester, hay baler, watering system)

I may have to adjust the percentages, but I'll have a better idea once I receive my first paycheck.   Once I meet some of the goals, I'll adjust the percentages.

In the meantime, I was doing a little searching on the price of cows.  Yeah, like that's in everybody's list of "things to do today", right?  Well, I can expect with inflation to get a mediocre cow for probably around $2,000 a head.  While talking it out with Fred, this old "Far Side" cartoon came to mind, and I had to hunt it up and post it so everyone could get a great laugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment